My Therapy Work
My Practice is Influenced by Myriad Approaches.
Here are some of the therapy models that I may pull from during our sessions together:
- HYPNOTHERAPY (Ericksonian influenced)
- PERSON-CENTRED THERAPY
- COMPASSIONATE INQUIRY (as developed by Gabor Mate in the year long psychotherapeutic training programme)
- SYSTEMS THEORY (Ego parts therapy and Internal Family Systems)
- NARRATIVE THERAPY
- GESTALT THERAPY
- GROUP PSYCHOTHERAPY (I am extensively trained in group training approaches)
- MULTICULTURAL COUNSELLING
- MINDFULNESS APPROACHES/MEDITATION
- SOLUTION-FOCUSED THERAPY (SFT)
- PSYCHODYNAMIC AND FAMILY OF ORIGIN
- COGNITIVE BEHAVIOURAL THERAPY (CBT) / DIALECTICAL BEHAVIOUR THERAPY (DBT)/NEURAL LINGUISTING PROGRAMMING (NLP) / HUMANISTICE NEURO LINGUISTIC PSYCHOLOGY (HNLP)
- LIFE COACHING and DEVELOPMENT COACHING
However, like all approaches, they have their strengths and their limitations.
For instance, as a counsellor that respects the Indigenous knowledge of this planet, one is a supporter in a shared experience of learning and growing, with assessments usually being completed by the person being helped. I use questions, storytelling, humour, modelling, and proven methods to raise your awareness of your wholeness and interrelationships within life. I use the healing power of hypnotherapy for connecting within ourselves: spiritual, mental, physical and mental. I use a two-eyed approach of both modern and ancestral knowledge when working.
This further means that therapeutic ideas that limit both me and my clients by placing me as the final expert on my client’s lives, are not the final arbitrator of how I run my practice.
What this looks like in my practice is that both you and I are in an alliance of curiosity to find the way forward.
We are compassionate partners in your care.
It also means that I acknowledge that every approach has limitations, and that some have been used to subjugate rather than foster a relationship between two equal sides. I acknowledge that the DSM: The Diagnostic and Statistics Manual of symptoms describing the various personality and mental disorders, has been used in this way. Unless agreed upon by both sides for practical reasons, we will include approaches that fit for you and work within your community.
Lastly, my participation in this field means that I have a responsibility to do my best in my practice so that inequality and privilege lose their power. I welcome your conversation to see if there is value and a match in working together.